At heart, all campuses are communities of writers. Our Faculty Write Ins and Faculty Writing Retreats offer uninterrupted work time, a distraction-free work place, and a supportive community of peers. Join us to connect with other faculty writers on campus and to set the tone for a productive academic year.
Friday Faculty Write Ins
After a few minutes of check ins and goal setting, we spend our time quietly working together.
- Time: Friday Mornings, 8:30am to 1:30pm
- Spring 2017 Dates: 1/27, 2/3, 2/10, 2/17, 2/24, 3/3, 3/10, 3/24, 3/31, 4/7, 4/14, 4/21, 4/28, 5/5, and 5/12
Room: Engineering 1602
- Sign up: Click here to sign up.
- Time: Friday Mornings, 9:30am to 11:30am
- Spring 2017 Dates: 2/3, 3/3, 4/7, 5/5
- Room: Founders Hall Room 716
- Sign up: Click here to sign up
Co-sponsored by The Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence and the Writing Across the Curriculum programs.
Faculty Writing Retreats
Write. Focus. Build Community.
Need to get started or make headway on a writing project before the summer months? This multi-day retreat offers uninterrupted work time, a distraction-free work place, a supportive and collegial community of peers, and sessions on the habits of mind and resources that support writing productivity. Join us to connect with other faculty writers on campus, work in small groups around individual needs, and reflect on the routines that will support your success.
Co-sponsored by The Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence and the Writing Across the Curriculum program.
January 2017 Retreat Dates
Wednesday, January 11 and Thursday, January 12, 2016
9 am – 5 pm
Each participant is asked to:
- Participate in both days (9:00am-5:00pm) of the retreat;
- Choose a specific project to focus on during those days;
- Commit to producing the best possible work during the retreat;
- Work in supportive small groups on individual projects;
- Listen to, encourage, and productively challenge other faculty writers in attendance.
Lunches and space to write (privately and with groups) will be provided.
Participation in this event is limited; we will select no more than 20 faculty members to participate. (Please note: should slots begin to fill, preference will be given to faculty in their first three years at Mason.)
To apply, please submit your application through our online form linked here. The application will request the following information:
- Your name, position, department, and length of time in appointment.
- A description of your project and project status (i.e., early planning, drafting, ready for feedback, etc.)
- A description of how the Writing Retreat would help you move forward with your project.
- A description of your goals for the two-day retreat.
- The intended audience for your project (i.e. which conference, publisher, etc.) and your timeline.
- A description of your writing process (where, when, and how you usually write).
- A statement that verifies that, should your application be accepted, you would be able to commit to participating January 11 – January 12, 9:00am to 5:00pm both days.
- Your meal preference (please indicate all that apply: non-vegetarian, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free).
Application Deadline: December 7th, 2016
Applications will be reviewed by the retreat facilitators, the Director of the Writing Across the Curriculum program, and the Director of the Center for Teaching and Faculty Excellence. Participants will be notified of selection by December 14th, 2016.
Please e-mail retreat facilitators with questions: email@example.com.