At heart, all campuses are communities of writers. Our Faculty Write Ins and Faculty Writing Retreats offer uninterrupted work time, a distraction-free work place, and a supportive community of peers. Join us to connect with other faculty writers on campus and to set the tone for a productive academic year.
Retreats and Write-Ins are co-sponsored by The Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning, the Office of Faculty Affairs and Development, and the Writing Across the Curriculum Program.
Friday Faculty Write Ins
After a few minutes of check-ins and goal-setting, we spend our time quietly working together.
- Time: Fridays, 8:30am to 1:30pm
- Spring 2020 Dates: 1/24, 1/31, 2/7, 2/14, 2/21, 2/28, 3/6, 3/20, 3/27, 4/3, 4/10, 4/17, 4/24, 5/1, 5/8
- Room: Fenwick Library 4008
- Sign up: Click here to sign up
Faculty Writing Retreats
Write. Focus. Build Community.
Need to get started or make headway on a writing project? Would you enjoy the opportunity to meet with other Mason faculty to discuss your writing and your current projects? Would you find it helpful to work in a small group of other dedicated writers, to discuss the goals you set for yourself as a writer, and the ways you are organizing your projects(s)?
This retreat offers uninterrupted work time, a distraction-free work place, a supportive and collegial community of peers, and sessions on the habits of mind and resources that support writing productivity. Join us to connect with other faculty writers on campus, work in small groups around individual needs, and reflect on the routines that will support your success.
AY 2019-2020 Retreat Dates
- Winter: January 8 and 9, 2020 (apply here through December 13, 2019)
- Summer: May 26 through May 28, 2020
Each participant is asked to:
- Participate in all days (9:00am-5:00pm) of the retreat;
- Choose a specific project to focus on during those days;
- Commit to producing the best possible work during the retreat;
- Work in supportive small groups on individual projects;
- Listen to, encourage, and productively challenge other faculty writers in attendance.
Lunches and space to write (privately and with groups) will be provided.
Participation in this event is limited. Should slots begin to fill, preference will be given to faculty in their first three years at Mason.
To participate, faculty must submit an application. The application will request the following information:
- Your name, position, and department
- A description of your project and project status (i.e., early planning, drafting, ready for feedback, etc.)
- A description of how the Writing Retreat would help you move forward with your project.
- A statement that verifies that, should your application be accepted, you would be able to commit to participating in all of the days of the retreat (9:00am to 5:00pm).
- Your meal preference (e.g., non-vegetarian, vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free).
Applications will be accepted through December 13, 2019. Participants will be notified by December 20, 2019.
To apply, please submit your application through our online form linked here.
Applications will be reviewed by the retreat facilitators, the Director of the Writing Across the Curriculum program, and the Director of the Stearns Center for Teaching and Learning.
Please e-mail the retreat facilitators at email@example.com.